Pages

Saturday 15 September 2012

Faced with Prostate Cancer - April 2012 The Journey Begins

April 2012 was the month that I made a decision that would change the rest of my life.

For better or worse, at the moment I don't know. I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world, HP, and I would say one of the best employers.

In 2011 they ran a campaign and screening for women employees for Breast Cancer, this year, 2012,  in the UK they had a Prostate Cancer test programme. I saw the advert at our head office and the emails; I also knew personally the chap who's story of survival was at the forefront of the campaign. What the hell, it was free, a simple blood test and I could also donate more blood for medical research. I therefore decided to have the test.

It was quite simple to sign up. An on line questionnaire was completed, standard stuff and I clicked submit and away it went. I didn't give a lot of the questions second thoughts - like, have you had cancer in your family .. my mother and sister had breast cancer and my father had prostate cancer. I received an email back scheduling me for a test at our Bracknell offices for the 15th May 2012.

On reflection, I should have read up a lot more about what I was doing here with this test, but hey, I am so glad that I took the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment