Pages

Saturday 15 September 2012

5th September 2012 – time to take control of my life

I have spoken to NHS and told them I will be arranging an appt with another consultant myself and will keep them informed. They also advised me to speak to my GP and keep them in the loop.

Spoke to my private health insurance and got the names of two consultants and their secretaries. ( Both names I had in my research list from the Internet and seeing who were leaders in the field of keyhole\robotics within commute distance from my home ). 

I looked at a survey of top urologists done in 2010 by The Daily Mail who asked doctors who they would get to treat them. I then looked at which of these were located close to me, commutable by car or train taking into account that I may need to go back and see them after any procedure. The best is a chap called Alan Doherty from The Birmingham Prostate Clinic http://www.birminghamprostateclinic.co.uk/ who is also at http://www.harleystreeturology.com/ 

Confirmed with the insurance (Bupa) that costs would be covered by them and they have emailed me confirmation of that. The consultant being used is on their books and is 'fee assured' so I know the costs are covered. Also his clinic is on their list and comes highly recommended. Now just the nervousness that he has the time to see me and sort me out.

Phoned the secretary for the consultant urologist, Alan Doherty , gave all my details including my insurance account to cover the costs. What a fabulous conversation with his secretary. I nearly fell on the floor with shock when she said I could be seen first thing Monday morning, that’s in 3 working days time. Why I didn’t do this several months ago I don’t know!! She also told me that Mr Doherty is wonderful and he would put both myself and my wifes minds at ease.

When I put the phone down, it was like lifting a huge weight from my shoulders.


Phoned my GP practice, they are faxing a letter tomorrow with my details to Mr Doherty's PA.

I now have some control of my own destiny.

At least now if I screw up its me , I have control of my journey - I hope

No comments:

Post a Comment