Pages

Saturday 15 September 2012

14th Sept 2012 - Surgery Arranged

Well, as good as his word, Alan Doherty's PA phoned me at home. She was lovely, explained everything simply for me so I could write it all down.

Mr Doherty will be doing a flexible Cystoscopy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystoscopy ) on me on thursday 4th October as a day patient at The BMI Priory Hospital in Birmingham (http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/priory ). 

I was given choice of 7am or 9.30am. As I would be driving myself I picked the 9.30am appointment - it still means I have to be up and out by 6.30am to get through the motorway traffic. The procedure will be done under local anesthetic.

At my previous meeting with Mr Doherty he had described this procedure and also said that he would be able to show me at this time the pelvic floor exercises I needed to do. ( Typically I have already researched these and started to do them Kegal Exercises )

Zena ( Mr Doherty's PA ) , also booked me in for the surgery at The Priory. This would be tuesday 9th October 2012. I have to be at the hospital no later than 7am as Mr Doherty starts his list at 8am. She also said that I need to be relaxed and not stressed up. Well at least if I miss the motorway madness by being up early it will help!.  She also confirmed that the anesthetist would be a Dr Faroqui.

The Priory will send me an admission pack with all the details I need. She has provisonally booked me in for 5 - 7 nights as it may be that I might need a full 7 nights. ( When I spoke to Bupa they said this would be ok as long as the clinical team at the hospital contact Bupa and explain the reson for the additional 2 nights as the procedure os normally 5 days - no problem ).

Well that was all systems go.

Phoned my Bupa support team and gave them all the details Zena had given me. They gave me all the authorisation codes the hospital will need and they wished me all the best for everything. They were great and told me to call them anytime if I need help with anything. They also told me to contact my GP and brief her, also they said to ask the consultant to write to my GP and get the GP to prescribe under NHS any take home medication that the hospital might want me to take as Bupa would not cover a private prescription. (Interesting - they did say this shouldnt me a problem but speak to GP)

So we now wait and whilst waiting I have started to do my Kegal exercises http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/prostate_disorders/Kegal-exercises_6215-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment