Pages

Saturday 15 September 2012

5th July 2012 – my first invasive hospital treatment – Biopsy time !!

TRUS Biopsy performed at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. This was an experience. There were six of us scheduled that morning and we were all give our own bed in an anti room. It was very factory like. Nurses going around each of us. Getting us to sign a form - I now know that was the form advising of side effects - hum - not very consultative. We were all given drugs. Then one at a time each of us was pushed into the treatment room and had the biopsy.

Whilst I was waiting I had my mobile phone playing me music and was tweeting away on the internet to keep my mind away from what was about to happen.

The biopsy wasn’t as bad as people online and youtube made out. The worst was the feeling when a large suppository was shoved up my rectum - this was an antibiotic. Also I am not that good at needles and an antibiotic was administered via an injection in the arm. Then the pain relief needle - this was the worst. Using the ultrasound guidance device this was a massive needle - I saw it unfortunately - and was injected in the gland through the rectum. Having said that, I was glad they gave this, as the needle biopsy then wasn't that bad. Counting the 12 clicks, I knew when it was all over.

Discharge summary given to me in a letter that I could copy and I dropped a copy at my local GP’s. Appointmentt given to me for results on 17th July with my clinical nurse. She is a lovely person who was calm and reassuring at the hospital. She gave me her business card and said I could phone her at anytime

No comments:

Post a Comment