Pages

Thursday 11 October 2012

Wowa .. How much fluid can you fit in your bladder!!

Well its wednesday, checked into my ward room , great team of nurses sorting me out. Still buzzing a bit after the ITU experience. In ITU I could drink small amount of fluid. Now being out the priotity is to get enough fluid through me , through my bladder to help the healing process.

Lots of what I have read talks around clearing out clots, bits of blood and getting the urine to a lighter colour. Also, I suppose with the drugs I am on its important to hydrate well.


My baby cup

In the room I am given a glass to drink from, however I have become attached to my baby cup -:) The cup enables me to drink but not spill anything on me, the bed or my laptop as I am lying down. Got used to it in ITU as you can only drink small amounts. Now i am out i can drink more. I was given a soup, more like hot flavoured water. Interesting that when I drank this, suddenly the fluid from the catheter was red and I mean dark red. Lots of it. Maybe the soup did this?

Sort of frightened me - especially when I knew I had lost blood in the op. So decided to drink lots of fluid and get it clear again.

I think I was still slightly disorientated on wed in the room as I was not saying the right things to people. Also I felt nervous about buzzing for a nurse. Family visited again, but to be honest, I was so tired my eyes were closing all the time.When the family went I was ready for sleep - me - at 9pm - wow. Had medication from nurses and they told me they would see me again at 2am. Yep, saw them then and they said I would see them again about 6am. They emptied my catheter bag. During the night between sleeps I kept drinking. Didnt realize how much I had drunk but i woke with pains. Started to do some work on my laptop but the pain got worse. Eventually about 7am I buzzed a nurse. She was really shocked when she saw my bag full. To cut a long story short, they emptied 4 litres of fluid out of me ... wooops ...  I was blowing my bladder up with all the fluid as the catheter bag was full. Wont do that again.!! You learn !!


Working on my laptop in hospital

Thursday, Mr Doherty arrived again, brilliant pick me up for a morning. The epi was coming out, was going on light meals and later in day we would work on the bowels - great thing was I farted for England about midnight - that was important as they needed to know that I could pass wind.

Lots of people, men, get embarassed about these things, but when you are in the middle of this kind of treatment, get a  life and get on with it. What I have learnt is medical people deal with the human body all the time, nurses are nurses, doctors are doctors. Like I am a proffessional IT person, they are medical proffessionals, dont be embarrassed about anything.

So, thursday, the epidural came out, suppository put in for anti inflamation to help with abdomin.
More pain releif, this time just paracetamol, as I had para and codeine at 6am. Codein cut out now.

Lot more drinking and now food - wow, breakfast...lunch ... huge ..
Shower. This was an experience. Two nurses had to help me. When I got out of the bed for the first time I leant against the wall as I took my first few steps. I used the wall and a nurse to support myself into the bathroom. Then another humbling experience beign showered by the nurses, but its a job for them and I was more focused on not falling over or passing out in the shower. But the wash felt good.

The shower meant I could get rid of the hospital gown - got dressed into shorts and T, am starting to feel normal. Interesting as it was the first time I had walked since tuesday morning. Coped well, though nearly fainted a bit in shower so sat down. After the shower I felt brilliant.

New dressing and a chance to see my scar... it looks so neat and tidy



Physio called to see me - Kizzie - had seen him yesterday - makes me laugh. We went for a walk up and down the corridoor - he thinks I am doing great. He is going to take me up the stairs tomorrow. Wants me to walk the corridoor twice more today.

Now more suppositories - glycerin - this time we need to start working on the bowels  - got lots of stuffy pain. Must not forget that I had a roast dinner monday, big lunch today .. not been for a void since tuesday and that wasnt much. ....

Will have to see how this goes.

Am feeling good, but I dont know if I am overdoing things.

I do know these suppositories as I am typing this up are creasing me up !!!!

Its 4.45 ... wednesday 11/10/2012 .. might need the little boys room !! - Nope.


No comments:

Post a Comment