Pages

Thursday 4 October 2012

Amazing Day - from Motorway Anxiety to calm in Hospital

What a day. Didn't sleep that well last night with the thought of going into hospital as 'day case' for the flexible cystoscopy and the unknown pre - op tests and samples.

Was up just after 5.30am and got myself ready - long shower to wake me up, coffee and checked all the paperwork. Finally left the house just before 7am - as I didnt need to get to the hospital until 9.30 am that would give me loads of time as its only about a 45 min drive away. Or so I thought.

M54, to M6 and then the traffic jam started. Stayed calm but slowly I watched the clock go to 8am, 8 15, 8.30, 8.45 and I still had 10 miles to do. At one point i drove 1 mile in 20 mins. Panic was starting to set in. Then all of a sudden all three lanes of the motorway started moving, 9am, I was off the motorway and heading through Birmingham. 9.10 am swung into the hospital carpark. Time to calm down for 5 mins.

Went to the hospital reception and asked for outpatients, was directed to a seperate building. Went there - what an idiot I am  - I am an inpatient, not outpatient - sent back to the main hospital - more panic.Am late!

Main hospital - all calm, told everything ok no rush. Thank god.

Taken by a lovely porter to my room within 5 mins of being in reception. Settled in and shown how to operate the TV - get the priorities right -:)

Catering staff arrived and gave me a menu to order my 3 course lunch !! ( OK small courses ) I ordered fan of melon, chicken sandwiches and a fruit salad with a pot of coffee. Could have done with a coffee right then.

Staff nurse came in and went through all the questions and history and other stuff. Put a wristband on me.

Consultant came in, lovely smile and manner - what a great guy - put me at ease straight away. So we could speed things up he was ready for me now! No time to dwell on it. Into the gown I went , slippers and dressing gown donned and with a theatre nurse I walked . We chatted away on the way down - she was obviously getting me relaxed as she knew I had never been a patient in hospital. ( The staff nurse later on remarked that I had done well to get to 52 years and not have to go into a hospital ).

Into the anti room , pause - loads of machines - door opens to the theatre and anesthetist appears and shaked my hand and welcomes me. They are all so nice. Two more theatre nurses and I am onto the operating table. No modesty here as I am bared for all to see and prep'd for the procedure.

Mt D. comes in and again with a reassuring smile starts chatting to me and we start. He starts to inject what I think is the topical anesthetic . He says it might sting a bit, to be honest it didnt and I told him I had had worse . I was more focused looking at the nurses with saline bags and the large TV screen in front of me. Mr D then put the device in and started to thread it into me. Wow, amazing, he gave me a running commentary of what I was seeing on the screen. He went down the uretha and stopped before he went into the bladder. He then asked me to do my pelvic muscle contraction - wow  -saw the bladder close. He said my contractions are perfect and strong. He also thinks after the main operation this will really help be achieve continence quickly.

Camera then went into the bladder and he had a good look around. He did notice reddening and slight inflamation. He asked if i had a problem passing water , I said I didnt and I suppose I dont , I just get on with it , like most men. He thinks I may have had or have slight Prostatitis. This wont impact the operation next week.

Camera is then withdrawn and its all over. While Mr D writes up his notes the nurses look after me. Wow, I now know what its like for a woman whose water break on the operating table. The table is soaked with the fluids they were putting through me. The floor is and so am I.

Mr D gives me a cheery goodbye and says he will see me tuesday. I am all smiling and happy  - considering what I have read about the procedure I have just had, I cant understand what people were moaning about - spinal blocks, generals - maybe I just had a great guy doing mine for me.

Back to the ward.

Cleaned up and got dressed. Mistake  - ECG's needed. Never mind, sorted it all.

Drank loads of water and had a coffee - staff were great. Woops pee needed  - method in their kindness - they needed the urine sample - gave em loads lol.

Blood tests - pathology nurse was fabulous, chatting away about everything  and explained about every sample. I have a good vein so it was so easy for her to put the needle in. Vial and Vial filled.

MRSA swabs done.

Lunchtime and dressed - more coffee.

Was about to leave and then we had more laughter - forgot that you actually have to be discharged from hospital, you cant just walk out. WOOPS. Back to my room.

Staff nurse then went through the discharge with me. We also talked about next week. She was great; as I didnt know what was going to happen she explained it all . Day by day. The big one was tuesday morning I would have a pre-assessment and I would see both my surgeon and the anesthetist . She also expained that I would have the open radical prostatectomy on tuesday and would not come back to the ward until about 11 am on the wednesday. From theatre on tuesday I would be taken to Intensive Care and stay there overnight being monitored and brought back to ward wednesday.

She thinks I will be there 7 days due to the operation I am having and also as I live so far away they prefare me to be clinically ok to have the catheter removed in hospital before I leave.

Went through lots of other stuff and then we said goodbye . She said she would see me tuesday.

What a day, time to go home. Am tired.


My room for the day today.

Below  - fruit salad - real fruit - not tinned


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bee. I hope it helps inform others and raise awareness of this disease and dispels some of the myths around treatments.

    ReplyDelete