Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Big day in Birmingham TWOC - Do not Fart in Public !!

TWOC - Trial Without Catheter.

When I went into theatre for the Open Radical Prostatectomy the operation didnt just involve removing a prostate, but also involved the removal of a section of the uretha. The uretha has to be re-attached to the bladder so to help with the healing and to ensure you can pass water they put a catheter into your bladder through your penis.  This has to be removed at some point so you can urinate again and learn to do it under control. The start of potty training for adult men -:) . Today was the big day.

Went to the Priory and checked into the ward - this time Bournville room 3 . Was looked after during the day by some great staff nurses.

Stage 1 - anti-biotics so I dont get any infection when the catheter is removed. An hour later , lie down on the bed and the removal takes place. Trick they dont tell you that I found out on the internet, take a deep breath and when she starts pulling it out , breath out - it relaxes you and you dont feel a thing.

The next three to four hours involved me drinking fluid, weeing  and after each wee pushing a buzzer, nurse would come in , take the bottle away for measuring and they would then scan my bladder to see what was left in. After three scans they were totally happy that I was voiding my bladder. In fact they would have been happy with less than 200ml left in, but I was managing to expel urine and only leave 21 ml in there.

Brilliant - everyone happy  so I could go home.
They redressed my surgery wound for me. Also I was given a bag of bottles, some incontinence pads and some aweful paper panties !! Plus a seat pad that I could use at home. Time to leave - got my discharge papers .. then a quick trip to the loo ... and into the car for trip home.

Got back to Telford and I had no accidents. Trip into Tesco to buy some more Mens Tens Pads, a waterproof sheet for my side of the bed .. incase of evening accidents .. then to the KFC for a celebration take home meal.

Still everything ok .. drive home.

We pulled into the driveway, now our drive is down a long bumpy private lane .. obviously this must have caught me by suprise. We pulled in to the drive and it happened ... car stopped , I swung out of the car and straightened up ( a Golf TDI GT is low to the ground ), when I straightened up I couldnt stop it -- I farted !!!! Woops - never fart without control or never fart unless you are in the loo ... I pissed my self !!!!!

It wouldnt stop, I couldnt stop it.  I was out of control !! The pad I had put on to leave hospital wasnt in the right position - pants wet . OMG!! 

Thank god this did not happen in Tesco - I would have been mortified.

I suppose this is going to happen again until I am potty trained -:)

No comments:

Post a Comment