Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

Constipation takes time - dont force it!!

Friday12th Oct 2012 -  afternoon in hospital I was gearing myself up for discharge on saturday. 

Physio - Kizzie was really happy with everything and he had briefed me on what I should and shouldnt be doing. My biggest problem was trying to get what had gone into my body from the top out from the bottom without straining as this could damage the fantastic work done inside by the surgeons.

My method to help this - and because I was a lot fitter being a hillwalker, was to take a walk outside. I devised my route , circular around the hospital with an uphill and downhill section by the Consulting block.

Two laps of this friday had me shattered.
Didnt seem to work.
Back in the ward I was given double Laxido's - its like drinking wallpaper paste. Also given double glycerin suppositories still didnt work. However I assumed all would happen - it didnt. I had to eat, so had my evening meal - when was all this gonna come out!!

Saturday 13th October ... its been 5 days since the operation - wind - no problem now, but nothing being discharged below - this is all getting too stressful.

Helen arrived and spent most of the day with me. We went for a walk together outside, but still nothing.

Andrea and her Assistant from the Colmore Ward, where Mr Doherty's patients are normally housed was on. First thiing she did was to correct how I had my catheter strapped to my leg - that made things more comfortable - typical techie in my  - I dont read the manual. Also they got me to read the health and instruction booklet with the catheter - stressing the importance of cleanliness and maintenance  - to ensure I dont given myself infection.

Andrea said she would sort out the bowels:

Jug of hot orange juice ordered
Large glass of pure prune juice ordered
Two Laxido's taken

Andrea told Helen that I could not be discharged as I had not emptied my bowels, but it would happen and i would be home sunday.

17:00 hrs I drank the hot orange juice.
at 17:30 hrs Andrea inserted both glycerin suppositories into my rectum and got me to sqeeze my buttocks and lie on my left side. At 17:45 hours I could sense something was happening .. as I was getting up catering came in with my meal - I sent them away to put it on the hot plate ... I just managed to get into the bathroom and sit down when it happened - WOW what a relief !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 mins later I was showered and telling the nursing staff what had happened - then meal time and visitors .. dam I felt good. Home time sunday.



Jonathan, Emma and Chris

Visitors left just before 9pm and I had some more Laxido and drank the pure prune juice  - ewwww - but it had to be done. 22:00 and hour later I was sat again on the loo and filling the bowl.  So sad this to think that having a crap could excite you so much.

Went to bed and was up again at 02:21 hrs sunday morning - again on the loo. Night staff were really pleased. Went back to bed and was up at 6am , packed my bag and laptop and tidied up and was ready to go!!

Helen arrived later in morning and after I was shown how to dress my wound, given diet instructions, given a bag full of medication to take home - again to help keep my insides clear ..  I was on my way out of this fabulous hospital .. for a few days. ( Got to go back tuesday for TWOC ... trial without Catheter ).


No comments:

Post a Comment