Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

Wind - unbelievable pain and nausia

It was thursday late afternoon and Natalie ( Daughter ) and her friend Lorna were due in later. The big thing that needed sorting out was bowel movements. Aparently I wont get to go home unless this is cracked. Decided with the staff nurse that we would try and start it all - or at least get the stool softeners in early so I would be ok for my visitors.

Brilliant Staff Nurse - Elisa was looking after me. She has suffered herself from the type of pain I was going through and about to go through. Without her help I wouldnt have got through the next few hours.

Really didnt quite work out. I had a couple if glycerin suppositories that were meant to iritate the bowel and might help movement. That didnt work. Held them in for an hour and then sat for ages on loo - no result. Also I took and oral Laxido to help soften the stool. The active ingredient, Macrogol 3350, is a laxative that makes stools softer and easier to pass .  This didnt work. The nurse then contacted Mr D. to see if I could have a stronger enema - injected up the rectum to kick start things. This was done, but still no joy. Wow - seems the use of the pain drugs like codeine etc had really buggered me up. At this time I also received another injection of an anti clotting agent.

A concern here is that I havent voided since a small one on tuesday morning and now it was thursday - day three post op. Mr D doesnt like his patients straining to void as it can impact the internals he has done. Big point this as during my research online and talking with other people who have been through the procedure this was a big bug bear.

Whilst all this happened the wonderful dinner I had ordered arrived. Managed half a cup of coffee and some soup, but the fish and veg went back to the hotplate to be saved and the jelly and double cream would have to wait on the tray.

I was still sat on the loo praying to the toilet gods when my daughter arrived. Lorna and Natalie stopped for about an hour but the longer they were there and I was talking the more sick I was  feeling. Maybe it was all the talking, maybe it was the drugs - I dont know , but what I did know was i needed space and to be on my own with the nursing staff to sort me. Felt so guilty asking the girls to leave after  they had journeyed here. They understood though.

After they went, Nursing team came back in. They got authority for some anti nausea medication, wind medication and my normal paracetamol.  I asked them to take the food try away  - which they did. Even looking at a glass of water was making me feel ill. It wasnt even 9pm and I turned all the lights out.

I was about to go to sleep and noticed a message to me on ProstateCancerUK Forums from Tony. He had an RP under Mr D at the Priory. He stressed to me to lie on my left side and this would help clear the wind. I tell you honestly, I had never felt pain like this before. All lights out and I got myself as comfortable on the bed and started to try and sleep. Around 10 pm the over night nurse came in and gave me pain killers and a wind tablet. If you can imagine your body full of gassy water gurling away and nowhere for that gas to go - thats the feeling and thats the noise you hear. Even Lorna had heard it before she left. I must have nodded of but about 11 pm I started to actually pass wind - big style. It obviously had found its way through to the exit -:) This went on for sometime , probably a couple of hours off and on and then I slept.

5am I woke up and felt quite good so got up for a walk around the room. Had a wash, did teeth and had a shave.. what else to do .. nothing. Started to feel pain from the abdomin , not wind pain this time.Nurse came in and gave me paracetamol x 2 and a Tramadol - I wasnt aware at the time that Mr D doesnt like his patients to have this really as its like codeine - not to worry - the combination helped me sleep and I woke at 7.30am to the gentle knock of Mr D on his morning round to say hello.

Again he was quite pleased with my progress and he gave me the good news that I should be able to go home saturday. I would however have to come back on tuesday to have the catheter out. To be honest, if I could be at home it would be great.

After Mr D left I saw the nurses, Staff Nurse Nicky - brilliant, talked me through the drugs - we have everything at home that I need to get me through the weekend. I only need Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. If I dont take my Amlodipine then I should be ok. I havent had any Amlodipine all week and the hospital have been fine monitoring my heart. I also have my own heart monitor at home so can check this.

Only problem might be saturday's drive home if we get stuck in traffic for a few hours. Nicky said she could give me a suppository pain killer - one Mr D recommends - Voltarol - as it doesnt cause constipation. Via suppository it will be quick acting. They might also be able to give me an oramorph dose before I leave.

Had my breakfast and then decided to get really mobile. Tidied my ward room. Picked clothes for the day - socks, shorts and pink i-scout tee shirt. Bathroom and then had a shower - well, the nurses showered me yesterday, this was interesting doing it on my own. Now I have a problem at home. I need a shower stool to sit on, also I will need a handle to pull up on. Havent got any. Dam. Gonna have to see if son of mine can fit them when I get home.

Below ... fridays breakfast ... prunes .. my god ... never thought I would welcome these .. but needs must!



No comments:

Post a Comment