Pages

Friday 19 October 2012

Getting to grips with Incontinence - day 3 since catheter removal

It has been three days since I had my catheter removed. Its been a learning curve. When you have the catheter in you drink loads and dont worry about urinating, in fact , you consciously relax all your muscles because you want to expel the fluid to help with the healing process. Also you dont want to squeeze as you feel it may damage the internal stitches that the surgeon has done reconnecting your bladder to your uretha.



Tuesday evening when I got back from the hospital I wet myself getting out of the car. I had forgotten something the physio in the hospital had told me that will become so important in my life. When getting up or down out of seats, bending or stretching, I must remember to do a big pelvic muscle contraction to prevent leakage. This may well have stopped the leakage I had coming home from hospital.

Thursday 18th was the day I started my physio exercises and I did them well. However, I did hurt. I stopped taking any pain relief when I got up in the morning as I wanted to be able to feel any tweek or twinge so that I didnt push myself to hard. I didnt want drugs masking any pain as this might cause more damage.

After the exercises in the morning I went for a walk from my house to the road , about 1/4 a mile - this was hard as the ground was potholed and bumpy. I could feel lots of soreness inside me, also the bumpyness of walking made me stop a few times and it also gave me a urinary urge.

Am suffering from annoying dribbles. Its ok being at home and also if I wear a pad, but need to combat this.

Tried to drink more Thursday  but my mind is consciously telling me not to in-case I wet myself. Must stop this and get back to a fluid regime.

A lady from the Office of National Statistics called in the afternoon on thursday and interviewed me for nearly 2 hours. This length of time talking got me really tired and I was glad for her to go. 

The internal soreness got worse into the evening and also I developed a headache. i never get headaches. Decided I needed some paracetamol. Took some at dinner time and then at bedtime ( midnight ). Bit of an accident before bedtime, snoozed on the settee .. major error .. woke up wetting myself !! Dam ! 

Time for bed.

Restless nights sleep - up three times to go to the toilet - in the end I was up early again. Did pelvic exercises in bed to kill some time. Must keep doing them to cure this wetting problem.





No comments:

Post a Comment