Pages

Wednesday 8 February 2017

COPD and Bronchiectasis - what is it all about

So my blog started about my prostate cancer. This seems to have been the catalyst for problems to start that I have never had before.

People have bucket lists of what they want to do before the die. I seem to be starting to collect a bucket list of illnesses.

Considering that until about 2012 with the cancer diagnosis i had hardly been ill in my whole life and hadnt had an admission into hospital, all that has changed.

I feel like I am a car thats starting to fall to bits.  I have a dressing table full of medication , tablets for the morning, tablets for the evening, tablets for bedtime, tablets for those special times .  Give me a shake and I probably rattle.

So, this post, COPD and Bronchiectasis. C.O.P.D. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease , an umbrella term for multiple diseases that impact breathing.  The British Lung Foundation have lots of info at https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/copd .  Bronchiectasis is where the lungs get damaged - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/C/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It seems I have both of these. In October 2016 I was told by my GP after having a spirometry test that my FEV1 or lung function was 53%.  I have just had a further review, Feb 2017 and been told that it is now 2.06 or 54% so roughly the same.  Since october I have had access to a Ventolin Inhaler and also an inhaler called Spiriva. The Spiriva is a preventer which slows down deterioration of my lungs, minimizing what they call exacerbation's or flareups that can cause more damage.  I have also had my flu jab and a pneumonia jab. The fact that my GP got me on these has probably arrested potential deterioration of my lungs. Now as a COPD patient I am also undertaking Pulmonary Rehabilitation which will also help me,

Am a little disappointed as it seems that back in march 2015 the hospital did spirometry tests on me.  Those results shown in the graphic below would seem to indicate that I had COPD back in 2015  - but no one told me about it. It also seems that at the same time the found that I had Bronchiectasis.
Well at least now I am under monitoring and treatment for these conditions.  I have read lots of good advice on forums that say i should be able to live many years managing this condition. There does have to be some drastic lifestyle changes though, diet, weight, exercise.

1 comment: