Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2012

10 weeks post Open Radical Prostatectomy and looking good

Really looking forward to Christmas and 2013.

Now for the health update........
Arm has healed and no issue now though am not using under stress.
Scar is healing well fading near belly button though angry and red lower down.
Getting pain when stretching , in lower right abdomen seems to be same place I had pain post op.
Been sneezing a lot and this may have aggravated something inside - not the surgeons fault, the problems of winter and also we are cleaning the house ready for Christmas and I have a dust allergy!!
Keeping up with pelvic exercises.

Ok, its now 10 weeks since the operation under the skilled hands of Alan Doherty at the Birmingham Prostate Clinic ( The Priory Birmingham ).  Everytime I think back at that time I am so thankful that he did the operation and has been looking after me. When you have this disease you have a lot of time on your hands to think and also with online forums , to talk with others who are on the same journey as yourself. And thats what makes me so thankful that I did the research, I educated myself, I was positive and chose the right guy to look after me.

Where does this confidence come from ? I read so many comments from people in the UK on ProstateCancerUK and Macmillan where people have been left with positive surgical margins, infections, with major incontinence issues and of course with the obligatory erective dysfunction. I am buoyed with the fact that Alan monitors all his patients and the outcomes are really positive.

My histology - margins all negative
My incontinence - one pad for minor stress incontinence ( to be honest - I am as continent as any woman now - you have to remember that following this surgery the male anaotomy is more inline with the female ).
My Infections - none to think of - slight burning - it should pass.
ED - will take time but that goes without saying for everyone - but he saved both neurovascular bundles whereas my NHS man was only going to attempt to save some on the left.

Continence is a big issue. See Urinary Incontinence Following Radical Prostatectomy - significantly this article says ".......  in high-volume centres with a small number of surgeons, early post-prostatectomy continence rates are very high (91–98%)....." The Birmingham Prostate Clinic falls into this category. Incontinence is a major factor for me and other men, as it goes on to say "....Overall, incontinence after radical prostatectomy has a major influence on quality of life, physical activity and social wellbeing......"
So at 10 weeks I think I am doing fantastic.

Still taking the Ciallis 5mg a day - hoping things will swing into action .
Read a great article Post Operative Sexual Function following Radical Prostatectomy at the European Urological Review website. It is really worth reading for those who are interested in the side effects and impact on quality of life following this operation. Its also justification for the NHS medication that I am being prescribed, also it reminds me that I need to discuss with GP and Alan next steps in treatment and options. ( Though another patient of Alan's mailed me recently that his sparked into life 5 months post op ).

So am I still getting tired?

Walking is still tiring but its lack of fitness not the operation. I can see now why the benefits of being fit before you go into hospital  is so important. As you tend to reduce your exercise levels during post op recovery you put on weight and become less fit. This seems to contribute to the tiredness , especially in the afternoon. Combine this effect with coping with being diagnosed with cancer, the stress of the decisions, the operation, the recovery, the side effects of surgery and then deciding on work .. All this combines to make you tired. Its so important to maintain a healthy lifestyle through recovery to combat this impact. The physio in the hospital tends to give you exercises for your abdomen and pelvis but doesnt go through a bigger fitness regime - maybe thats an improvement that could be suggested to the process of recovery for all patients. My big plans to climb Snowdon this month or a mountain of equivalent stature may have been over optimistic. We will see, I am still confident I will have a go at this before the year ends.

Christmas is nearly here and its time to put on cheery face and have a good holiday period. Have put to the back of my mind the anxiety of the fact that though I have a job, being away for a time means I have no role so it will be something new for me back at work in Jan 2013.

Also, January is a big month - it will be the first ultra sensitive PSA test following my operation. Will have the blood test around 9th Jan and then go see Alan at the clinic on 21st Jan. Hoping for a result of less than 0.1, 0.02 would be a fabulous result as would 0.05, figures that I see a lot of other people who have had the op and have been monitored for a number of years. This would hopefully indicate that there is no 'persistence' ie some cancer cells have been left behind . Would then be just monitoring for 'recurrence' over the next 10 to 15 years.

Have a happy holiday everyone - here's lookign forward to a better 2013 than 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment